Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Amo la mia famiglia

(^ translation^): I love my family. 


Dictionary.com defines the word family as: "a basic social unit consisting of parents and their children, considered as a    group, whether dwellingtogether or not: the traditional family."


1989


"Famiglia, Famille, Teaghliag..." 



No matter what language you're speaking; the word FAMILY typically renders the same emotions. Love, comfort, happiness are just some of those warm and fuzzy emotions you see and feel at first glance upon a family.

Me, Two of my Aunts & My Mother

Below the surface is where the truth is buried. I think it comes out like layers of an onion. Everything on the outside is what you see right away. Its the peeling, what you eventually discard after you start to use it.

After the peeling comes the first layer, thats not everything either. Its literally just the beginning of the getting to know family. Names, ages, personalities... so on and so forth.

The Disciplinarian & The Goober

The next few layers is where you start to get to really know the family.

You get to see all the crazy, funny, emotional, annoying and ridiculous crap that no one in the family wants you to see.

You get to see each member in the new light and the roles they play individually in the family...




The funny one, annoying one, the oldest, the baby, the talker, the crazy, the cleanest, the messiest. You see it all... the good, the bad and everything in between.

My family is crazy. 

They're nosey, bossy, and controlling.

Don't get me wrong, I love my family with all of my heart but the truth is they are absolutely nuts and here are the facts.

They are classic "know it all's", ridiculously bossy and feel that they ALWAYS need to tell you just exactly what it is that you are doing wrong. Everything that you do that is different than them or whatnot is a "faze" and for some reason it always seems that no matter how old you get, you will ALWAYS be that little kid that keeps messing up and can never seem to do anything right.

The truth is despite their craziness, deep down, I know most of it is because somewhere in their warped minds they're showing, or attempting to show that they care.


  • My grandmothers incessant nagging and pessimistic attitude for instance is her way of protecting me.
  • My grandfather's abrupt nature is his way of showing strength for his family. 
  • My uncle's ways of "connecting" are cracking jokes that typically aren't that funny and most of the time just plain rude.
  • My aunt's overbearing and at times demeaning natures are their ways of trying to direct me in paths different from their own. 
Yes, my family is absolutely insane. The truth is though I wouldn't have it any other way. My family maybe crazy but they're so awesome it is ridiculous. 

They're funny, caring, loving and some of the most interesting and incredible people you will ever have the pleasure of meeting. 

Amo la mia famiglia 

I love my family 

I guess thats the way all families are? Maybe not exactly like mine but in their own ways they manage to all have a little crazy in them. And thats ok with me. 






No comments:

Post a Comment